This was one of my favorite books as a kid. It is about a cat who decides to stick around a run-down, abondoned house because "home was home and that was that." Eventually someone fixes up the house and the cat warms up to the new owners and has a great home.
I wasn't always going to move back here. I was going to dive into the world of food science. I had a great job offer from Hormel but I would have had to move to Iowa. The summer of my internship my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy. It was super hard to be away. I am a nurturer and a worrier so I needed to be there to help my mom take care of my grandma. I decided that family is more important than any job or amount of money. I knew by moving back here that I would sacrifice some things but gain other things. Growing up, most of my cousins lived right down the road and all of my grandparents lived nearby. We got to see our family all of the time and it was wonderful.
It hasn't always been easy but so far it has been a great decision. My children will know and love their family and appreciate their farm heritage. I get to stay home and be a mom and Brett gets to see Tate more than he ever would if he had a different job. We are only a 2.5 hour drive or less from most of our immediate family. It is hard sometimes to find time to visit everyone with the busy farm life but we do try. I feel like we have our priorities straight and hopefully when we look back 20 years from now we will know, without a doubt, it was the right thing to do. I guess "home was home and that was that" so I am not going anywhere!
No comments:
Post a Comment