Sunday, April 26, 2015

Birth Story

On the morning of April 15 I had a regular OB appointment. I thought I was leaking a little fluid so they monitored the babies and checked for a leak. I checked out fine and got sent home. That evening after my shower I thought I was leaking fluid again. Brett and I agreed that I had better go get checked again so back to the hospital we went. Tate went to my mom and dad's house. This time I tested positive so I would be having a c-section that night. I got prepped and Brett joined me in the OR. I remember feeling very scared this time. There were a lot more people in the room than with Tate. I think most of them were there to take care of the babies once they were born. I also remember feeling more pressure than last time. I had a terrible cough that day and could not cough when I needed to during my c section and was just feeling terrible by the end. At 11:23 pm Ellie Marie entered world at 6 lbs. 5 oz. and 20 inches long. Her sister, Audrey Kay followed at 11:24 pm and weighed 5 lbs. 13 oz. and was 19 inches long. Audrey was having some trouble breathing so she got put on my chest right away. I got closed up and moved to recovery. As the numbness wore off I tried to cough. I could not cough deep enough and it kept making me gag. I could not stop gagging and vomiting. Eventually my body calmed down and I was able to do some skin to skin and nurse the girls. Audrey's breathing was doing much better. We got moved into our room. At some point in the night a nurse pulled back my sheet to check on me and my entire sheet was soaked in blood. Another nurse rushed in and was not so calm about the situation. She gave me a shot in the leg to help stop the bleeding. Brett said there was a giant clot that I passed. They weighed all of the blankets and pads with blood and they weighed in around 10 lbs. The blood loss made me sick and I could not stop vomiting. I could not sleep at all that night. I was unable to keep down any breakfast. That morning the OB and pediatrician made their rounds and said we were all doing well. I got my catheter removed late morning but when I stood up I felt faint. I was finally able to keep down a little lunch. My parents and Brett's parents visited in the afternoon. Tate was a proud big brother. I stood up again later in the afternoon and immediately left a giant pool of blood on the floor. The nurses got my all cleaned up and I was able to pee. I still felt pretty terrible but was able to rest. The next day I woke up and was sick to my stomach again. The doctor said I was full of gas and the nurse said I was probably vomiting because of all the air in my belly so I had to get up and move around more and use a suppository. After many miserable hours later I finally got some relief and was feeling a little better. That evening I passed a big blood clot that finally put an end to the crazy bleeding. The doctor gave me the option of going home that day but I thought I needed some more care. Finally, on Saturday I was feeling fair and was ready to go home. We got good reports from the OB and pediatrician and got discharged. It was completely different than my previous c-section and I have never felt more terrible in my life.  It was a crazy 37 weeks and 1 day that I am not eager to do ever again!  I am glad the girls are here and are healthy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment